Saturday, January 22, 2011

Thankfulness

Have you had one of those days where your kids drive you absolutely crazy?  They complain about everything. They are not content with what they have.  They have a serious case of the "I WANT".  Well, that was my day yesterday.  We took the kids on a field trip to the Mayfield Dairy.  Andrew didn't want the size of ice cream I was going to buy, he wanted the great big one.  He wanted half of the stuff in the gift shop.  And that was just the beginning. Then we went to the mall.  OK, so I'm sure you can figure out that was probably not the best decision on my part.  By the time we got home and they had to clean out the car, they were fighting and arguing.  The straw that broke the camels back was when at dinner Bekah commented "these noodles are cold."  I took a deep breath and went into the Mommy lecture of why they should be grateful.  No, I didn't talk about the starving kids in Africa.  I told them about some of the kids right here in our neighborhood.  We explained that some of the kids in their own class at church doesn't always get breakfast in the morning or food whenever they want it.  I think it might have pricked their hearts a little.  Tim & I decided that they would go upstairs to bed immediately after dinner.  They had to take some paper and pencil and sit in their bed to write down what they were thankful for.  I really don't do this enough with my kids, but I got such a blessing out of reading their lists when I went to tuck them in.  Here is what they said.  (I had edited for spelling but not grammar) 

Bekah said- "What I am thankful for- I'm thankful for my room and my toys and the main thing -the main thing is God and Jesus and the earth."  On the back of her paper she drew a picture of God "using my imagination of what God looks like."  On the front she drew a picture of the earth with Papua New Guinea. 

Andrew's list- God, dogs, friends, family, church, bed, blankets, home, toys, my animals, books, being a missionary, mom, dad, Rebekah, earth, Christmas, room, hats, places, me, food, legos, army, clothes, snow, outside, Mr. Fox, logs, cars, work, money, sun, light, dark, birthdays, knives, ots, pans, songs, ship, wood, milk, drink, Jesus, homeschool, Lego Ninjago, star wars, cross, football, Navy, tv, movies, Awana

As I read through their lists and talked with each of them, I felt refreshed as a mom.  Their hearts were sincere.  Why am I sharing this?  I'm not bragging because I certainly have many mess ups as a mom, but I'm sharing to encourage all of you.  It is hard and tough.  Our society screams at our kids that they need to have everything.  It isn't easy.  I'm still finding the balance between being a "no" mom and a "yes" mom.  I pray they will have the same attitude as Paul- content in every circumstance.

Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 
Philippians 4:11-12 (NLT)

1 comment:

  1. :)
    thank you for sharing. we practiced thankful thoughts with our devotions through the month of November. I don't know why we stopped... it's definitely time to start again.

    ReplyDelete