Sunday, January 16, 2011

Flexibility is the Name of the Game

Flexibility is not usually the favorite word of a Type A personality.  We like our plans, we like them in advance, and we like everything to go as planned.  We tend to stress when things go off time schedule.  The more they go off schedule, the higher the stress level.  I admit, I'm a bit Type A, just a little- OK, quit laughing,-  maybe more than just a little.  On New Year's Day I sat down and wrote out on my calendar the plans for the month.  I would prefer to write everything in ink, but I am learning that it just makes a mess on my calendar with all the scratch-outs, so I have learned to use pencil.  We had a very busy week planned for this week.  It was to begin with a trip to Mayfield Dairy, speaking to the AWANA club at church, going to see Beauty & the Beast with Bekah, bowling and sleepover party for Andrew, and concluding with dinner with friends.  That is what our calendar said last week.  Then they started talking about a snow event on Sunday night.  OK, so that might just postpone the field trip.  No big deal.  This is Atlanta, these things don't last long.  Little did I know that on Saturday, I would still be at home with just a small path (finally) cleared to walk down the driveway and snow and ice everywhere else. 

The Birthday Boys!
When you have two Type A personalities in the same family, it can make for some interesting dynamics, especially when it is father and daughter, errr, I mean mother and son.  Andrew has always been a schedule child.  He likes to know what is going to happen, when it is going to happen and what to expect.  He is the child that would plan out the theme for his birthdays years in advance.  I got to decide on his birthday theme exactly two times- his first and second birthday.  When you have a January birthday, you have to learn to be a little bit flexible.  We've already experienced the challenge of re-arranging a party due to an ice storm.  This year was full of flexibility.  We planned a combined birthday party with his best buddy.  We were going to go bowling, play lazer tag, eat pizza, and have a sleepover at his buddy's house.  The boys were so excited. None of us ever dreamed that the snow & ice that began Sunday night would still be affecting us on Friday night.  Thursday night we (the other mom & I) made the decision to postpone the bowling and lazer tag.  We changed the sleepover to our house since we couldn't leave our house.  I knew it wouldn't be the ideal situation for Andrew, but he took it ok.  He was disappointed that the events weren't as planned, but the boys still had a great time and got at least 2 or 3 hours sleep.  I want him to learn flexibility.  His Type A personality is part of who he is.  I totally understand that!  (being slightly type A myself...)  What we are both learning is that God's plans are so much better than ours. 

I want both of my kids, especially Andrew, to learn lessons that I'm slowly learning about being flexible and being patient.  "But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind." (Isaiah 40:31, The Message)  I don't like waiting.  I want to know all the plans and details and what to expect.  God gives fresh strength to those that wait.  Are we willing to be flexible and wait on God?  Do we really want to soar like eagles?  God has been so faithful to teach me how to wait on Him, even with the Type A personality.  Waiting entails being flexible. 

1 comment:

  1. "I am all in favour of spontaneity, providing it is carefully planned and ruthlessly controlled."
    - John Gielgud

    ReplyDelete