Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lessons from Ice & Snow

So the number one lesson I have learned this week is that I'm not made to live any further from the equator than I live right now.  I'm a Florida girl, and this snow and ice thing was not something I was ever taught about.  Actually as I was walking around my yard and house, I kept having flashbacks to youth ski trips to Snow Mountain, West Virginia.  That was fun.  I didn't have to worry about getting out, running out of milk, or anything.  I just skied and played and enjoyed life.  Besides, it was only for a few days, and I had borrowed ski clothes.  Things are a bit different living in it. 

We are beginning Day 4 of our adventure with snow and ice here in Atlanta.
OK before all of you who deal with this kind of stuff up North on a regular basis start accusing me (and the rest of the South) as being a wuss, I will admit it!  I AM A COLD WEATHER WUSS!!!  Seriously, I have a new found respect for those that deal with this on a regular basis.  I can't imagine every morning having to dig my car out or having to clear the driveway.  The day after Christmas Tim & I worked for almost an hour clearing off my parent's van and the driveway, so we could go to church.  We got maybe an inch of snow. The kids and I worked for what seemed like hours yesterday to attempt to clear off the driveway.  Didn't work.  You can see the results in the picture- and that is just the top of the driveway!



One thing God has been teaching me through all of this is I'm spoiled.  Not just a little spoiled like I thought, but I am spoiled rotten.  That's not a good thing.  I had to throw some pears out this week that the kids had begged me to buy them.  I thought I could save them.  Cut the spoiled part out, and then the rest is fine.  These were spoiled rotten.  There wasn't enough "good" left in them to try to save.  Now, fortunately I'm not a pear and God isn't me.  (I know, we are all very thankful for that last part!)  God can save even the most rotten!  I knew I was somewhat spoiled.  Preparing to leave all the comforts of life that you've known to go to a country on the other side of the world has opened my eyes a bit.  This week, they were open even further.  I had convinced myself that I'd be ok without a Chick-fil-A or grocery store or any other convenience I needed or wanted for that matter right around the corner.  Seriously within 5 miles of my house, I have more restaurants, grocery stores, drug stores, and shopping than most people need.  So, we have been at home for 3 whole days (as I type this I realize how crazy it sounds when put into perspective) without the ability to safely go anywhere.  With the exception of coming home for about an hour on Tuesday, Tim has been at work since he left early Monday morning.  I have been a pretty poor sport about it.  I've had my share of pity parties- "I'm stuck here by myself with two kids and no incoming relief and no where to go to get this extra energy out" "We're out of milk, butter, and anything else I need to make what I want to cook" "I sure wish Papa Johns would deliver".  OK, you get the point, I certainly haven't been very thankful for what we did have.  So, I've started looking at things from a thankfulness perspective.  Afterall, when we get to PNG, there is no Papa Johns to bring us pizza.  There is no fast food at Ukarumpa, unless you consider leftovers fast food.  And there is no Target or Belk or Kohls.  It's not even super easy shopping online because not everywhere delivers to Papua New Guinea.  You get the point.

Here is what I'm thankful for during this week:
  • My husband's integrity and work ethic.  
  • My husband's preparedness.  He knew there was a good chance he'd have to be at work, and we could loose power.  He stocked us up with plenty of firewood and even moved the grill into the garage, so we could cook if needed.
  • My kids are used to playing with each other and love to play with each other.  In fact, they've done better when I've just let them play rather than get on the Wii, computer, or watch a movie.
  • We did NOT loose power, so we stayed nice and warm.
  • The time to get my clothes and toys tagged and ready for the Spring/Summer consignment sale.
  • Homeschooling- We didn't miss any school days this week!
  • The $3 pair of rain boots I bought myself on Saturday for Papua New Guinea.  They've made great snow boots.
  • Our warm clothes.
  • Just a taste of what it is to live in this kind of weather.  (As we meet this weekend with our friends who are missionaries in Alaska, I'll have a new appreciation for them!)
  • The God of the universe that loves me and cares for me is right here with me, even when I'm spoiled rotten.
 As I pray that this evening Bekah and I will be able to enjoy our girls night outing to see Beauty and the Beast, I'm reminded that no matter what happens, God is in control.  I can sit and be miserable over things I can't control, or I can rest in the loving arms of the One who IS in control. 

1 comment:

  1. Tara - so well put. Thank you for the reminder. We are spoiled and so need a reality check. :)
    BUT enjoy the pizza while the getting is good!!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete