Monday, January 10, 2011

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

Well, it is snowing and has been snowing!  I had to change the background of the blog to the snow picture to go along with this post.  Don't worry, it will be changed back soon, I'm sure. 

Our back deck at 5:30am.
OK, back to the snow.  Last night it started with some sleet and snow around 9:00pm.  This morning we woke up to a beautiful winter wonderland.  It was dark and cold last night when the snow started.  Frankly, it was just ugly outside.  To even see if it was snowing we had to turn off the inside lights and turn on the outside lights.  This morning as Tim left to go to work at 5:00, the light reflecting off of the snow just lit up the world.  What little light that was outside bounced off the snow creating a beautiful peaceful picture.  It is strange to look out our big front window and to see the front of our house illuminated.  Normally you look outside and just see the single light across the street.  Our neighborhood is very dark at night with no street lights. Our house is situated on a hill and even when we have the outside lights on, it is very difficult to see down our driveway and into the cul-de-sac. This morning I watched out the window as Tim brushed the piles of snow from his truck and left for work. 

As I watched the snow, I was reminded of the verses in the Bible about snow.  The first one that comes to mind is Isaiah 1:18 “though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow." As I thought about it, I was reminded as Christians we are the light of the world.  As I looked out over the snow and realized just how much the small amount light was reflecting off of the snow and brightening our normally dark cul-de-sac, God began to show me that this is what I am supposed to be doing.  This is how my light as a Christian will shine and illuminate the darkness around me.  If I have sin in my life, the light cannot shine and reflect Christ.  This morning during my quiet time, I prayed and asked the Lord to search my heart for sin that is blocking the reflection of His light in my life.  

Today I pray that I won't just be a lone light that attracts the bugs, but that I will be a light that is reflected and lights up the entire world around me that is in darkness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment