Sunday, January 2, 2011

A New Year

"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:8-9 (NLT)

Another year is over and what a year it has been in the Ellis family.  We began the year wondering where God was going to lead us.  We look toward 2010 with eager expectation.  We had this feeling that God would do something, we just weren't sure what it was.  Our little finite minds thought we'd be staying here in the States and helping out in some form with missions- maybe part time, but certainly not full time.  Never in a million years would we have guessed that just a year later we would be preparing to leave all that is familiar and comfortable to us to move to the other side of the world to assist in the Bible translation process. As we began searching and praying, we asked a few close friends to pray as we attended a conference with Wycliffe.  We left that conference knowing that God wanted us in full-time missions.  We continued to pray and seek Him.  He clearly showed us that He wanted to use us in Papua New Guinea.  We continued to pray and seek as He showed us we were to go with Wycliffe.  Things didn't go according to our time line, but they went according to the perfect timing of our Father. 

As we begin 2011, we know we have many changes in front of us- many things that we anticipate and many things that are very uncertain.  Again, we have to rest on that perfect timing of our Father and not our own time line.  I don't do very good not knowing the plans and time line.  I like to fill my calendar out in ink and plan on everything going as planned.  But, I've learned to use pencil and to be flexible as things will change. 

God taught me a very important lesson last Fall about trusting Him for each step.  When we accepted our offer of membership with Wycliffe and assignment in PNG, we were sent a TON of information.  Being the Type A personality, I read through EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb.  My mind started going and wondering how in the world would we do all of this.  How would this work with the kids and their schooling?  What would be our exact timing?  I came close to going into a full panic attack with all the worries and concerns I was piling on myself.  Finally, I heard that still small voice telling me "Give it to me.  It is my burden to carry.  I'll take it and lead you."  During my quiet time one morning I took my large binder with all the information and physically laid it down as I prayed and gave it all over to the Lord.  Wow!  You talk about instant peace and renewal.  It was such a powerful reminder to me that as we are following His leading, He will take care of all the details.  Now, that doesn't mean it will be an easy path, but it is the best path to follow.  It's like the scene in Indiana Jones where he has to cross the large ravine and has to take a step in order to "see" the bridge the goes over it.  We are taking each step one at a time. 

I'm not sure where we'll be next year as we ring in 2012.  All I know is that it will be an exciting adventure as we follow God and trust Him each day.  Come join us as we go on this adventure.  No, you don't have to board the plane with us.  You can pray for us.  You can keep updated through our blog and newsletters.  You can partner with us financially.  There may even be another way God wants you to join us. Pray about it and ask us. It is very overwhelming when we look at all that is required and needed over the next few months.  It is so comforting to know that we serve a God who is able to take care of all the needs we see and even the ones we don't see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment