Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday doesn't mean the same as it used to

Over my life Fridays have meant different things to me.  Of course it has always meant the beginning of the weekend.  When I was working in the corporate world, it meant looking forward to a break from getting up early and going to work.  When I first began staying home when Andrew was born, it meant extra help was coming from Tim being home.  Then Tim got shifted to work in the warehouse at Costco for a period of about 9 months.  Fridays then meant a long Saturday was coming with no extra help.  As the kids have gotten older, it has meant that we have a weekend full of activities.  This year in our homeschool, Fridays are a day to catch up on missed work, enjoy some fun educational activities before what is usually a crazy weekend filled with soccer games, chores, and church activities.

As I begin today, though, it is different.  We've been in Orlando since last Saturday.  This is not a vacation trip, nor is it our usual Florida trip to visit family.  No, we are in what I'm calling Wycliffe Boot Camp.  They are preparing us as we go forward with our ministry to help with Bible Translation in Papua New Guinea.  I've had to make some serious adjustments this week.  We all have.  Although our family is a bunch of early birds, normally, we tend to take our time in the morning.  This week we are at breakfast every morning at 7am- dressed and ready to go for the day.  After breakfast we drop the kids off at "school" and begin our day.  Tim & I are in classes every day until 4:00pm.  We pick the kids up to eat lunch.  This has been an adjustment.  I'm used to having the kids with me most of the day- being heavily involved with their school (hey, I am their teacher) and lives.  I'm not used to being the student and letting someone else be the teacher for my kids.  Still not sure how I feel about all of this.  Usually we have a break at 4pm until dinner at 6:00pm.  The first few days included activities after dinner.  Those were some long days.  Now we are able to come home to work on our homework.  Yes, homework.  The last time I did homework was over 11 years ago when I was living down the road attending UCF.  (OK, math geeks, quit doing the math, I'm still 25 and always will be...) 

So, what does this Friday mean to me?  Well, another day of classes and then some free time with the family this weekend.  It still doesn't mean sleeping in on Saturday morning.  We have speeches to give tomorrow morning before we get our free time.  I know from this point on many Fridays will mean preparing to visit different churches and families as we begin sharing with people the ministry God has laid upon our hearts and inviting them to be part of the mission.  As I reflect upon this, I'm reminded that God's own Son was crucified and died on a Friday to redeem me, Tim, my family, and you from the curse sin had on us.  It was the preparation for the greatest miracle ever- the Resurrection that came on Sunday!  Jesus didn't stay dead.  If so, then I have no reason for hope or excitement to share.  Jesus is ALIVE and He is our only hope.  I pray as we begin to see our Fridays transform (at least for a little while) from days of leisure and looking forward to rest and time together over the weekend, that we will continue to have our eyes on the One who made the ultimate sacrifice of His Friday for each and every one of us.

1 comment:

  1. Your mission and family will be in my prayers weekly. I am humbled at the sacrifices your family is giving to further our Majesty's kingdom. Thank you Ellis family for helping spread the Word of God!

    ReplyDelete