Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What do you want for Christmas?

Last night we took the kids to visit Santa at Bass Pro Shop.  It is one of the few places where the parents do not have to shell out tons of money to buy a photo package they don't really want just to allow their child to speak to Santa for a brief moment.  Yeah, the Ellis family is cheap.  The added bonus, we get to take our own pictures in addition to the one they take and give us for free!  WooHoo! 

Before we went, I had asked the kids what they wanted for Christmas.  This is where the two distinct personalities of my kids come out.  Andrew has a list a mile long and has very expensive taste.  Bekah is sweet and simple- baby dolls.  On the way home, I asked them what they told Santa.  Andrew- a DS and a stuffed dog.  Bekah- the same thing.  Do I think this is what they want more than anything?  No.  I think it is just what came to their minds at that moment. 

I enjoy buying presents for my kids.  What parent doesn't?  I don't wait for their list of the latest "wants", though.  I buy based on what it is I find that I know they will enjoy- and enjoy more than just Christmas Day.  I've noticed as time goes on that the kids tend to want whatever it is they see.  It doesn't matter what it is or if they already have one very similar.  I love to find them things that I know they will like and enjoy and even better than that toy they saw earlier.  If Andrew had his way, their would be a Beagle puppy under our tree.  He knows (at least we have told him over and over) that there will be no puppy under the tree- at least not a real one.  Why?  Mommy & Bekah are both allergic to dogs AND we are moving overseas in a year.  He'll get so teary eyed and pitiful over the fact that he can't have a dog right now.  It is heartbreaking, but I know it is not what is best for him or for us at this time.  That is probably the one thing he really does want, but, now is not the time.

As I think about Christmas and all the gifts, I'm reminded of the verse "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" (Matthew 7:11).  I think about my own motivations for giving gifts to my children.  I want to give them good gifts, but not everything they want is good.  So often, though, I think that God should give me what I want.  But I must remember that God wants to give me good gifts.  He knows what is good for me.  So, instead of getting mad, upset, or down about not getting what I think I need or want, I'm going to trust.  I'm going to trust that God will keep His promise just a couple verses earlier.  "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." (Matthew 7:7,8)  


One day Andrew may get that beagle puppy.  It won't be this Christmas, though.  He is a very persistent boy and will continue to ask, seek, and knock.  Am I that persistent with God with what I really want?  Do I really know what it is that God wants for me?  After all, His gifts are so much better than we could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment