Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Time is Here


It is that crazy, busy time of the year.  The time of the year where we tend to blow everything we've worked toward the rest of the year.  Diets- out the window.  Staying on a budget and spending within our means- maybe in January.  Taking time for our family to have time together- does going to and from countless parties, rehearsals, plays, performances, etc count?  Being disciplined and diligent in school (at least for us homeschoolers)- ok for math today we are going to calculate how much we spend on buying stuff.  Why is it that when we get to the fourth week of November, we turn into crazy people?  So many of us actually dread this "most wonderful time of the year." 

OK before you start calling me Mrs. Scrooge, let me explain where I'm going with all of this.  Maybe some of you are totally relating to that first paragraph.  I know there are many times that is me.  This year I'm really trying to focus on the why of Christmas.  Most of you reading this blog can tell me in a heartbeat that the "reason for the season" is Jesus' birth.  I'm sure you'll also confess that you tend to forget that part of it at times.  Every year I try to focus on Jesus' birth by re-reading the account of His birth and the events leading up to it.  This year I've also started reading some additional Christmas books to accompany my focus.  Thanks to the Kindle my brother gave me as an early Christmas/birthday present and the free books on amazon I can download, I've gotten more insight.  It has been very challenging and inspiring.  

I was reading in Luke 1 about when Mary went to visit her cousin Elizabeth after Mary found out she was to become pregnant through Holy intervention and give birth to the Christ child.  I remember reading that passage 8 years ago with a new passion and wonderment.  I was 7 months pregnant with our first child.  I thought about Elizabeth who was 6 months pregnant with her first child when Mary came to visit.  When Mary first spoke, the baby within Elizabeth leaped at the sound of Mary's voice.  Usually at that point in a pregnancy, the baby tends to be moving around more and more and causing more and more discomfort to mom.  When I was pregnant with Andrew, he got the hiccups quite often.  My stomach looked like it was leaping as it "jumped" with every hiccup.  Without fail we would sit down on Sunday morning to listen to Dr. Merritt preach.  The hiccups began.  I'm sure that is NOT what Elizabeth felt when John the Baptist leaped at the sound of the Savior's mother's voice.  I imagine more of a dramatic leap than that of a hiccup.  It was an undeniable movement that Elizabeth felt.  She was pretty used to the movement of the developing baby by this time in her pregnancy.  Well, as used to the movement as any mom who has a living child inside her moving around at his/her whim! 

That wasn't what meant the most to me as I am preparing for this Christmas season.  In Luke 1:45 Elizabeth tells Mary "Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”  (NIV)  The New Living Translation says "You are blessed because you believed that the Lord would do what he said".  That really hit me.  Mary was blessed not because she was carrying the Christ.  No Mary was blessed because she BELIEVED that the Lord would do what He said.  She believed.  Am I like Mary?  Do I believe that the Lord will do what He says?  I have to admit this year that question has a whole new meaning.  Do I believe that God will provide for us as we follow Him?  Do I believe that He can provide the renters or buyers for our two houses that have declined in value so dramatically in this real estate market?  Do I believe that He has already lined up our financial partners and prayer partners?  Do I believe He will provide comfort and peace to my mom (and the rest of our family) as we prepare to leave?  And the biggie- Do I believe that He will get me through our 15 weeks of Pacific Orientation Course (POC) where I will be pushed to limits I've never experienced? 

As I think about believing that God will do what He says, I think about what Mary knew when the angel came to see her.  She probably had no idea what the next 34 years of her life would be like and how tragically the life of this sweet baby she was to carry would end.  During Christmas, we don't want to look at the cross.  We just like the sweet baby.  But that baby came for a purpose- a singular purpose- to be our Savior- to reconcile us with God.  He came for the cross.  He came to die and then to be resurrected.  It was through His death and resurrection that we have Christmas.  We don't celebrate the birth of anyone else like we celebrate the birth of Jesus.  Why?  It is because of the "why" of Jesus' birth. "He gave up His divine privileges; He took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When He appeared in human form, He humbled Himself in obedience to God and died a criminal's death on a cross"  (Philippians 2:7-8, NLT) 

As you go through the next two weeks, reflect on why we do this craziness of Christmas.  Take time to reflect on the true reason for Christmas.  Remember not just the sweet baby but also the cross and the most victorious conquering of death through His resurrection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment