Wednesday, November 10, 2010

God uses everything

It's been tough getting back into the school routine after coming back from Orlando.  We've been doing review and finishing up our last unit the last two weeks.  This week we had to start our new unit.  This was no getting around it.  I was not excited about starting a unit on Pilgrims.  I know, it's Thanksgiving time and the appropriate time to do Pilgrims.  We did a large unit on Pilgrims last year.  I wasn't ready to repeat it.  Grudgingly I drug out the teacher's guide to look over the unit.  Each week's lesson has 2-3 points for us to focus on while we are doing our study.  It is the very first thing we read.  I read through it as I was preparing.  This is what I read:

"It takes strong motivation to cause someone to leave the place he considers his home.  When someone does leave his home, it gives you insight into the strength of his conviction or the difficulty of his situation." 

OK, God.  I understand why it is important that I cover this lesson with the kids at this time.  Or so I thought.  I was looking over the writing assignments.  I have decided that someone came in and replaced our normal assignments with assignments that I need to talk about with the kids.  Topics like moving, what makes home a home, etc.  The writing assignment for yesterday- "Make a list of at least three things you love about your home...Tell one reason why you think it would be hard to move to another place."  Today's art assignment- create a collage of pictures or drawings to show what you love about your home.

I never knew when I decided on this curriculum that it was just what we needed.  We are studying Explorers as we study American History.  My only thoughts for this year was that I wanted to cover American History.  Everything so far as applied to our lives as we are on this Great Adventure following God's leading and direction.  I know this should not surprise me.  I've seen God work in some mighty ways, but I'm continually amazed at how He works even through the little things in our lives.  This is why everything must be continually committed to Him in prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment